In order for you to select the qualitative research approach that best fits your research question, you will need to develop a deeper familiarity with the approaches available to you. This week’s Assignment is the first of a two-part activity designed to broaden and deepen your base of knowledge of qualitative research approaches. While the activity does not encompass all possible approaches, it does allow you to explore the eight most common approaches you are likely to encounter and may wish to consider for yourself.
For this Assignment, you will complete the first half of the Qualitative Research Approaches Matrix Template, which is designed to allow you to compare and contrast qualitative research approaches.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review this week’s readings, focusing on the differences among the following four types of qualitative research approaches:
- Generic qualitative inquiry
- Qualitative case study
- Grounded theory and realism
- Phenomenology and heuristic inquiry
- Locate the Qualitative Research Approaches Matrix Template in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Read the examples of research studies provided in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Select additional readings that focus on specific approaches (some suggestions have been provided for you in the Optional Resources).