Assignment 1: Application – Protocol for Diagnosis, Management, and Follow-Up Care of Growth and Development and Psychosocial Issues
As pediatric patients grow from infancy to adolescence, there are many common growth and development and psychosocial issues that may potentially present. As an advanced practice nurse caring for these patients, you must be able to recognize red flags and select age-appropriate assessment and treatment options. In this Assignment, you prepare for your role in clinical settings as you design an age-specific protocol for the diagnosis, management, and follow-up care for a common growth and development or psychosocial issue.
- Reflect on the age group and the growth and development or psychosocial issue that you selected in Week 2.
- Think about the epidemiology of the issue.
- Consider an age-appropriate protocol for the diagnosis, management, and follow-up care of the issue you selected.
- Think about how culture might impact the care of patients that present with this issue.
Write a 2- to 3-page paper that addresses the following:
- Explain a growth and development or psychosocial issue that might present in the age group you selected. Include the epidemiology of the issue in your explanation.
- Explain an age-appropriate protocol for the diagnosis, management, and follow-up care of this issue.
- Explain how culture might impact the care of patients who present with the growth and development or psychosocial issue you selected.
Case Study 2:
You see a 30-month-old named Brian for a well-child visit. His mother reports the following development:
Physical: Walks independently, runs, able to climb stairs alternating feet, makes a tower of nine cubes, and is able to button his pants.
Social: Follows one-step commands, uses one-word sentences, and has a vocabulary of approximately six words. He is resistant to nighttime and feeding routines, he has marked temper tantrums, and Mom states he does not calm when she tries to comfort him.