Project #1: Interview with a health care system stakeholder.
Identify a significant stakeholder in the U.S. health care system, contact him or her, and arrange and conduct an interview (in person, or over the phone). This stakeholder may be a hospital administrator, a physician, a nurse, a health insurance executive, a politician, a human resources manager at a company, or a consumer with significant knowledge of or experience with the health care system. (Note: We will discuss assignments of stakeholder type in class.) During the interview, pose the following questions (you may ask additional questions, as you have time):
- What are the major problems with the U.S. health care system today, from your perspective?
- What major trends do you see occurring in the health care system in the next 5 to 10 years?
- What changes would you like to see in the system, and how could they be brought about?
- What do you see as your role in improving health and health care delivery?
- From your perspective, what is the outlook for careers in healthcare management?
- What are top 5 skills or competencies needed for a career in healthcare management?
Write up and submit your interviewee’s answers to the foregoing questions. Do not omit to list the name, organization, and title of the person you selected for interview and why you selected this individual.